Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Week 1.2: Reflection of Writing Instruction

Entry #2: Reflect on the writing instruction you have received. Which view of writing described in this chapter corresponds most closely to your experiences?

The writing instruction I had growing up most closely resembles the Learning View. I was taught how to use correct grammar and spelling through a series of exercises including spelling tests and worksheets. "Students practice language by engaging in oral drills and written exercise" (Freeman & Freeman, p.55). There was a lot of practice with identifying each part of the sentence including the subject, verb, and noun. The teacher would grade the assignments and mark the ones that are wrong and write the correct answer next to it. I remember receiving school papers that had red ink all over them due to incorrect grammar. "Since the emphasis is on developing correct language forms, teachers correct errors immediately" (Freeman & Freeman, p.56). I remember being a really good speller and even came in second place in my school's spelling bee. Repetition was key to me learning how to spell words. One homework assignment was writing each of the weekly spelling words three times each. I also remember using a dictionary to write the definition of each word.

I enjoyed writing when I was younger and still love to write! In fact, I have kept either a diary or journal since I was 9 years old. It's fun to look back at my very first diary to see the progression of my writing. I did a writing project while earning my Bachelor's degree that allowed me to reflect on my writing throughout the years and my old diaries and journals really came in handy to see how my writing has changed throughout the years.

References

 Freeman, D., & Freeman, Y. (2014). Second and Written Language Acquisition. In Essential linguistics: What teachers need to know to teach (Second ed., pp. 52-83). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.  

No comments:

Post a Comment